US Virgin Islands Hotel & Tourism Association
The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 until Nov. 30. There are tools available to help plan and prepare for hurricanes:
• Know what to do before, during and after a hurricane.
• Create an emergency communication plan with your family before a hurricane.
• Know your local community’s evacuation plan and evacuation routes, sign up to receive local alerts and warnings, and listen to the advice of local officials before, during and after a storm.
• Check your insurance coverage. Damages caused by flooding are not covered under normal homeowner’s insurance policies.
• Strengthen your financial preparedness by collecting and securing personal financial, insurance, medical and other records.
• Have emergency supplies in place at home, at work and in the car.
• Download the FEMA mobile app for disaster resources, weather alerts and safety tips. The app (available in English and Spanish) provides a customizable checklist of emergency supplies, maps of open shelters and recovery centers, disaster survival tips and weather alerts from the National Weather Service. The app also enables users to receive push notifications reminding them to take important steps to prepare their homes and families for disasters.
To learn more on how to prepare before, during and after a hurricane, visit www.ready.gov/hurricanes.