US Virgin Islands Hotel & Tourism Association

vipalogoThe Virgin Islands Port Authority has received a $10.7 million grant from the Federal Aviation Administration to improve airport facilities, announced VIPA Executive Director Carlton Dowe. A portion of the grant is comprised of $5.5 million in discretionary funds, said Dowe. VIPA will use the grant for major airfield and airport terminal improvements at the Henry E. Rohlsen Airport (HERA) on St. Croix, and the Cyril E. King Airport (CEKA) on St. Thomas. The grant will fund 90 percent of each project’s cost, and VIPA will fund the remaining 10 percent. The projects include:

HERA ($3.5 million)

  1. Rehabilitation of HERA Runway 10-28;
  2. Sealing and re-marking the midsection of HERA Taxiway A;

CEKA ($7.2 million)

  1. Rehabilitation of CEKA Taxiway B at CEKA in the general aviation area used by private jets;
  2. Re-circuit and install new runway edge lighting at CEKA Runway 10-28 to provide backup lighting during a power failure; and
  3. Upgrade the CEKA Terminal’s security access control system.

Dowe said that this is the fourth year that VIPA has received discretionary funding for HERA since funds were withheld in 2002 pending the closure of the Anguilla Landfill near the Rohlsen Airport. VIPA has received discretionary money from the FAA for St. Croix airport projects since 2013.

“I sincerely thank VIPA’s staff who have worked diligently to complete this task. Their hard work allows us to continue to receive much needed funds to improve our airports,” he said. Dowe added that VIPA will continue to work diligently to improve its infrastructure throughout the territory.

Call 340-774-1629 or e-mail for more information.