US Virgin Islands Hotel & Tourism Association
Life can be stressful at times. Many of us feel like we want extra hours in the day to complete everything that we need to do. As the work day seems to encroach farther and farther into family/ leisure time, there are many things you can do to make the most of the 24 hours that you have in the day. Below are a few tips that will help you make the most of your time at work:
Limit Distractions: It is easy to get distracted nowadays thanks to email and social media. Limiting distractions makes it easier for you to focus and get more done in less time. The amount of work you are able to get done when you eliminate distractions may surprise you.
Keep in mind that there are apps you can use to block access to your favorite websites. You may also want to turn off your phone while you are working. Your cellphone is a major distraction.
- Take Breaks: Many of us force ourselves to spend hours on a task without taking a break. While that may seem like the best way to get more done, it will likely lead to burnout. That is why you need to give yourself breaks while you are working. For example, you can work for 50 minutes and then take a break for 10 minutes. Taking breaks actually helps keep you focused.
- Delegate Tasks: Whenever the situation allows, think about delegating specific tasks. Assigning tasks to other people will not only free up time for you, but also eliminate some stress and allow you to focus on the big picture of your day. It is estimated that 41 percent of working time is spent on tasks that could be handled by other people.
- Take Keyboard Shortcuts: Many people take a shortcut while they are driving. The purpose of a shortcut is to get to your destination faster. Even if you are only able to save a few minutes, it is worthwhile to take a shortcut. Keyboard shortcuts can help you complete computer tasks quickly and save time. You will also be able to reduce your dependency on the mouse by using shortcuts.
- Nonessential Tasks Can Be Saved for Later: You may not always have the time to complete everything in one day. That is why you should focus your attention on the most important tasks. You can work on non-essential tasks later.
- Improve Your Sleep Quality: Many of us spend too much time working on our electronic devices at night. Studies have shown that this blue light from your devices can ruin sleep quality. It can also throw off your circadian rhythm. As a result you may feel tired at work and have trouble focusing. That is why it is a good idea to avoid working on electronic devices before bedtime.
- Pack Healthy Foods: You will have an easier time focusing if you eat nutritious foods. Start your day with a good breakfast, and pack some snacks that will help get you through your day. There are many foods that have been shown to boost concentration. Strawberries, salmon, blueberries and beets are examples of concentration-boosting foods. If you want to try a dessert with your lunch, then you may want to include dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is filled with mood-boosting antioxidants.
Click here to visit the Social Caddie site and learn more ways to optimize your life!